Monday, March 17, 2008

Stronach: Robert Forbes Stronach


Robert Forbes Stronach, Police Constable 1857 - 1924



"The house was the Police house and the top left window that you can see was the
prison cell.­ It was a strange house inside, there was a wooden stare
case ( like a ladder ) that pulled down into the bathroom which was the
entrance to the cell.­

Behind the windows to the left of Adam
was a lovely big room with wall to wall book cases all beautifully bound books,
mostly Burns books.­ When Adam died all the books had to be put in the bin
as there was wood worm right through the book cases and the
books.­

I can remember there was an organ in the house too, I
think Dad took it to the church in Hamilton where it took pride of place in the
Relief Society room which was also the room where the Baptismal faunt
was.­The organ had two foot peddles that pumped the air through it and a big
row of stoppers above the two rows of keys.­ I can also remember the
musty smell that came from it ! "




"When we lived in Irvine there was an old man lived over the back fence
from us.­ One day when I was out working in the garden we got
talking.­ When he learned that my name was Stronach he asked if I had
connections in the Law village.­ He went on to tell me about the village
Bobby (Policeman) who when he was just a wee boy had told him off for
swinging on the gate of his house, he added, 'I did nay like him '.­
I could hardly believe my ears !
What a small world we live in.­ I asked if he could remember anything more about the Law village or its bobby,
he said that he could not as it was a long time ago and he was only about six years old at the time, but that, that had stuck in his mind because he did nay like the police!

The Policeman that we were talking about was my Great Grand Father
and I have the handcuffs that he would have used, but going by the stories I
have heard he did not have the need to use them, he just took a hold of someone,
anyone, and they went with him.­"
-Robert Morris Stronach

Standing at back is Robert F.­ Stronach & Maria Jane.­ Standing from left to right is Gordon Cathcart & Twins George & Robert Forbes.­ Seated is William Morris & Jane Porter With Alexander Wilson Russell on her knee.­

No comments: